Home Therapy PCT
Company: Fresenius Medical Center
Posted on: September 25, 2022
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as part of the hemodialysis health
care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for
patients under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in
accordance with FMCNA policies procedures and training and in
compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation state and
federal agencies. Responsible for the setup and operation of
hemodialysis machines. Assist in the maintenance of a safe and
clean working environment. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the
Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI Activities including
those related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in
process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that
patients will achieve the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals
(QEP).PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Patient Education:
- Assist other health care members in providing patient specific
detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate -
Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC) Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP)
Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM) and regarding disease
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their well-being
since their last treatment.
- Evaluate vascular access for patency.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and
- Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment.
- Perform vascular access cannulation.
- Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or as allowed by
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
- Monitor patients' response to dialysis therapy.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
- Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
- Evaluate patient prior to termination of venous access -
standing& sitting blood pressure.
- Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient prior to discharge.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation weight and
vital signs with initial identification.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled
including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
- Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related
to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and if applicable progress notes.
- Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the PCT III (if applicable) or nurse
- Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the PCT
III (if applicable) or nurse supervisor.
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient
status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluate patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures provide appropriate
intervention as needed document and report any unusual findings to
the PCT III (if applicable) or nurse supervisor.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface chair equipment
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate.
- Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm
testing including Pressure Holding (PHT).
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare organize and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment
to prevent wastage.Record Keeping:
- Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous
Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application in an accurate and timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness ensure nursing
signatures are documented and ensure omitted entries are completed
or corrected where appropriate.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile
paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens
according to laboratory destination.
- Collect label appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
courier.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients facility staff and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly
involves heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with
ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
This position requires frequent prolonged periods of standing and
the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may
occasionally be required to move with assistance machines and
equipment of up to 200 lbs. and may lift chemical and water
solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet. There is a
two-person assist program and material assist devices for the
heavier items.EDUCATION AND LICENSES:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Must meet Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved
state and/or national certification requirements within the
required state or CMS timeline.
- All appropriate state licensure education and training (if any)
required.EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- At least two years previous patient care experience in a
hospital setting or a related facility preferred.
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of
the FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of
CPR certification.EO/AA Employer:
IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Center, Hialeah , Home Therapy PCT, Healthcare , Hialeah, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!